× Welcome to SGCyberSecurity forum!

Feel free to discuss any topics relating to cybersecurity with the rest of the security community in this forum.

Topic-icon website got hacked, help

54 years 9 months ago #2153 by o_Kenneth Lee

Hi MG

Just to highlight that SSL does NOT help to prevent your site from being hacked... SSL is used to prevent things like eavesdropping?ÿby providing an encrypted link to transmit data... If what you said about the site being replaced with rubbish wordings etc, it may be that they have gained access to your admin account for administering the website, or at least infected them (e.g. if you place infected files on your web server). There are quite a few possibilities.

And just to repeat, SSL does not help, and worse case scenario is if you store your private key there, it may even be compromised. So please do look up a bit more before deciding how to protect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

54 years 9 months ago #2154 by o_KevinP

KL is right to point out that SSL does not help prevent your site from being hacked per se since it's meant as an added layer of?ÿencryption, making data exchanges a bit more secure from hacking attempts.

I just thought it would be a necessity since there are online transactions involved? Hopefully no data was compromised.

*PS - I'm a noob so can't advise further...gotta learn from the pros here.

54 years 9 months ago #2155 by o_Kenneth Lee

Off-topic... but KP's comments made me wanted to point this out: How come there is no HTTPS implementation for this site?

54 years 9 months ago #2156 by o_merlionguy

@Kenneth Lee you are saying SSL does not help? then what can we do? like that say, bit worrying liao. i heard about web monitoring service like shaun tan recommend on banff cyber or those Cloudflare, r they good?

@KevinP we?ÿdon't store any customers' da

54 years 9 months ago #2161 by o_Kenneth Lee

Hi MG

I don't think I can comment whether they are good or not. SSL will help if you also want to prevent eavesdropping between your visitors and your site. But like I said earlier, without knowing what you are trying to protect and how your setup is done, it's really hard for anyone to comment if a solution or product is good for you.

It's easy to say "generally speaking these can protect you", but "generally speaking" will not necessarily help to protect you from the specific threats you are facing. To me, security needs to be customised to a certain extent. Do PM me if you are not comfortable revealing more information about the setup here.

54 years 9 months ago #2164 by o_merlionguy

thanks all for the advice thus far, it's been really helpful. hope it's fine now..