× Welcome to SGCyberSecurity forum!

Feel free to discuss any topics relating to cybersecurity with the rest of the security community in this forum.

Topic-icon What's DRP and BCP?

54 years 9 months ago #2804 by o_wendyt

DRP deals with the restoration of systems in the event of a disaster. This is handled by the IT Dept.

BCP defines the business requirements of the DR Plan. Example, the RTO and RPO.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

54 years 9 months ago #2805 by o_ronnie101

Interesting. So does both DRP and BCP be planned together at the same time?

If I have more than 1 systems, does that means I need to have more DRP and BCP?

54 years 9 months ago #2809 by o_wendyt

There is no hard and fast rule. But both DRP and BCP can be planned to run together or separate. It depends on how many systems a company has.

I just want to add that IT cannot decide the BCP requirements. The business has to define that. They have to conduct the Business Impact Analysis and to define which of their business applications is critical and what sort of Recovery Time Objective and Recovery Point Objective is required for each system. With these information, then IT can formulate the DRP strategy.

If you have more than 1 systems, you have to see how large is your scope and whether the current IT team can handle the scope. Or you can break down into multiple DRP tests. It is up to the company to decide. In one of the DRP tests that I had done previously, we had to recover at least 5 web applications as they all interlink with each other.

10 years 9 months ago #308 by o_mightygal

Hi all, can I find out what's the difference between DRP and BCP? I always got confused between these two terms.