× Welcome to SGCyberSecurity forum!

Feel free to discuss any topics relating to cybersecurity with the rest of the security community in this forum.

Topic-icon Singapore public servantsŸ?? computers to have no Internet access from May 2017

8 years 4 months ago #1960 by o_Kenneth Lee

While I do not fully agree with the decision as well, I think the argument that Smart Nation relies on the Internet isn't really a very valid argument. After all, they are not cutting off Internet access from the whole nation.

The way I see it is that Smart Nation just means you need to be connected, not necessarily to the Internet. The sensors and other necessary?ÿcomponents can be connected via a network that is not connected to the Internet, or indirectly connected e.g. via data diodes if there is a need to, such as pushing out information to the people. This can be a more expensive way of doing things, but not impossible and frankly speaking, might make more security sense in the face of increasingly complex attacks including?ÿAPTs which can result in large scale damage.

I believe?ÿthat a more constructive way of discussing this would be for us to discuss what this does and does not achieve rather than just saying that it does not make sense. It will help everyone better understand and contribute to the discussion since we are all here to discuss about cyber security.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 4 months ago #1965 by o_paulsng33

internet has been abuzz with all the news of this, good and bad. i guess there's always a good intent for the sg govt to do implement such act, but hope there won't be alot of resignations. understand that the new gen of workers rely heavily on social media and they may wander off to private sector liao. =)

8 years 4 months ago #1971 by o_living soul

i dunno such act or initiative gels well with the younger generation of folks who rely heavily on social media. these pple live and breathe social media one, die die must facebook, twitter, snapchat, etc.. by removing internet access, i think they will have a hard time liao.

8 years 4 months ago #1972 by o_Kenneth Lee

It may not go down?ÿwell with the younger generation, but I think that should not be the main consideration. After all, such unregulated access is an avenue for cyber attacks to happen (hey my friend just shared this link, I should click on it to see what it is, never mind that I am connected to the other devices in my office and?ÿmay cause others to be affected.

With all the debate about this,?ÿI think?ÿwe really do take cyber security for granted. If we are talking about how it may affect the efficiency of the work etc, then work processes and supporting infrastructure must be subsequently put in place. But it seems that preferences is prioritized over security in many points raised so far, which seems to be implying a certain thinking that security is not a shared responsibility.

8 years 4 months ago #1973 by o_living soul

well said @Kenneth Lee i guess younger generation folks have to adapt to such culture some how. I think govt is also doing their best to ensure business continuity despite that there could be a downhill effect on productivity. not sure how agencies are reacting to this news, so far haven't hear any CEOs of agencies coming out to say something.. or r they not able to do so?

8 years 4 months ago #1974 by o_twentysomething

there are so many tech solutions out there to protect individuals like end point solutions, does it mean these solutions are useless? i mean to cut off internet just like that isn't the best solution isn't it? we are all moving ahead, just like Facebook just announced it's launching 360 photo feature. let's find a better solution rather than moving backwards?